Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Silencing the Inner Monologue

I'm in week two and a half of NaNoWriMo and already something wonderful has come of it: I have finally murdered the little voice inside my head that makes me second guess my draft work. You know, the little voice I complained about a week or so ago? The one telling me that everything I'm writing is crap? Yeah, she's dead. Or at least out of commission for now.

And my writing has really come to life.

Words are just pouring out and I am already more than half way to my goal of fifty thousand words. Of course, a lot of those words will go or be changed when editing time comes, but for now, I am letting my imagination have the reins. Surprisingly, since I have been able to let go of that perfectionism, I am having a really great time writing. It's been an adventure again; discovering the characters and the places and just going along with the story as it comes out. Its been really fun.

I will admit that my self-critic rears her ugly head every now and again, but that 50,000 word goal (and my thriving drive to compete with my friends) has really helped to shut her up. So for those of you who were thinking about doing NaNoWriMo and didn't have the time to do it this year, I would highly recomend it for next year. Or maybe we could have our own Crooked Table contest in January (I know better than to say December, since that is probably the craziest month of the year for a lot of people). We could set our own word goal and see how we do. What do you guys think?

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! Happy writing!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm definitely open to the idea of doing something like that, if we can get enough interest. Congrats on the progress! I'd love to read some of it sometime... Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete