Saturday, November 17, 2007

Press Pass? Who says you need a Press Pass?!

.....or business cards even???

Hello fellow members of The Table!

Before I get into my post let me just share with you all how excited I am right now!

Last night could have looked like a total coincidence.

A total case of dumb luck.

Or maybe it really WAS the writing gods at work.

As most of you know (or maybe you don't but you will), I write for an online women's publication called The Go-To Girls. (Under the name Piper Jeffries).

Well, recently, instead of writing strictly current events blogs for them they've now got me writing new CD releases (under Monroe Bennett).

Since this publication gives me about 98% creative control I decided last month to review a local unsigned band from New York.

My editor printed it and I asked her if I could continue doing that and she gave me the nonchalant, "Sure. Do whatever you want."

So, this time I decided to review a band that a friend of mine has been playing with called New Season. (Check them out, they're great!)

What perfect way to review a band than to see them live, right?

Well, last night I went to one of their shows.

I was chatting with some of the members and letting them know what I was doing and whatnot.

Apparently, some fans of another band overheard and saw me taking notes and were saying things to me like, "Hey, this guy's in a band too."

The wheels in my head started turning.

Recently, I've been asked to do an advice column for a new alternative magazine called pOke Magazine.

My friend, Misty, who works for them also asked me if I'd be interested in covering Tampa shows and events since I live here and everyone else lives in Polk county. (The magazine's being distributed mainly over there but they want to branch it out too and hope it gets bigger.) I told her I'd probably be too busy and to be honest with you, I couldn't see myself doing something like that.

Lo and behold, I was wrong.

"What if?" I thought.

"What if I covered this thing, wrote up a good story, interviewed a bunch of people, and they ran it? More awesome than that, what if I did this all the time? It would only be like once a month. I could handle it, right?"

So I took a chance and the next thing you know I'm like VIP or something.

I'm talking to bands, fans, managers, and the owner of the place. (Demmi's at Market and 7th in Ybor.)

I got free drinks and I truly felt for the first time in my life, like a Literary Celebrity.

People kept asking me for my email address, myspace, websites, etc.

I didn't have any business cards so writing it all down in my really, really bad handwriting (and being half-drunk) was getting difficult.

(It's ok though. I just ordered business cards for my bad self...)

I had the time of my life and almost everyone I talked to was really cool and receptive.

It was amazing to me how people start treating you once they find out you're with the press.

Especially these bands that want to make it big someday.

(Oooooh! The POWER! Muauhahahahahaha! Lol. Kidding, of course.)

But it WAS really cool.

And news that is WAY more awesome than that.

Misty ok-ed it and the story will run next month.

Also, I'm now going to be doing this a lot more often.

But in the meantime, check out my current stuff at the links on my Myspace and also keep an eye out for the FIRST issue of pOke, coming out on Nov. 29th.

And I'd like to thank all the cool new fans and friends I made last night and a VERY special thanks to Kyle Collinson and the rest of the guys from New Season for getting the whole thing rolling in the first place.

"Daring to dream, living to create" (my blog's slogan)is quickly becoming a reality and I consider it a huge sign that there is no doubt that I'm a writer and that I love every second of it.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! A HUGE Congrats to you... :) Btw, we need to co-conspire on future writing projects... I'm thinking a collabo might be in order at some point... if you're up for it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chu gonna do a write up on one of my future shows?

    ReplyDelete