Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pay the Writer! And all creatives...

Hi Everyone,

I just accepted Robert's invitation to join The Crooked Table. Thanks for the invite Robert.

My name is Ryan and I'm a freelance visual journalist (photographer) here in Tampa. I'm also in grad school at USF with several folks on this blog. If interested, some of my work can be seen at www.ryankmorris.com. The website needs a lot of updating, but for now, it is what it is.

So I wanted to share a video with you. Please watch it! The link will be at the end of this post.

Trying to make it as a "professional" freelancer in any field is a challenge! What we want to do is be creative and maintain the passion for whatever it is that drives us--be it writing or photography, or any other creative endeavor. But, the creating part is only a small fraction of the process. It might be the most difficult, but it certainly isn't the most important. If you want to eat, pay rent, and be able to afford to have the time to spend writing, you have realize that you're running a business!

As an individual, you are still a business. And as a writer making yourself available and your work to others, you impact your colleagues and their ability to earn a living doing what they love too.

I have lots to say on this topic of feeling like and acting like a professional. And the fear it takes to start negotiating with people that want to use you. But,it is a must to learn to value your time and your work in order to continue to doing what you love. Computers, cars, cell phones, condos and everything else we need and use to enable us to write or shoot costs money and it has to come from somewhere. So why not have it come from the people or companies that rely on us and want to use our work or services?

I hope this post starts a discussion and I don't intend for it to be a tirade, but this video really speaks to me and I wanted to share it. Plus it makes me laugh like crazy! Look at the comments too.

So here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Thanks again for the invitation!
-Ryan

4 comments:

  1. hahaha

    I like this guy.

    And yeah, marketing yourself is a hard thing too.

    It's always tough when you want to get out there but you don't want to sell yourself short either.

    I understand a lot of publications can't afford to pay "right now" but there are so many out there that will.

    I've been looking more into them as of late because once you start getting paid to write, you really don't want to ever not get paid to do it again.

    Welcome to The Table!

    I will definitely check out your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was SO great! Fantastic addition to the Table! Almost makes me feel ashamed of the unpaid editorial internship I just started.....

    As my co-conspirator Jenn mentioned, welcome to the Table, Ryan! It's good to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that was great. Nice video meng

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to have you! Sounds like you have a lot of great advice to share!

    ReplyDelete