Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Press Pass

I love the phrase press pass! Am I the only one? Is this wrong of me? A buddy of mine told me just before I left my corporate position to use my press pass to get into everything. He said, "You never know if you can or can't get in until you try."

This got me to thinking, is trying to get into everything abuse of power or is it simply a chance to possibly get a new story or a new angle on an old story that I might not have thought of. I think that as writers we need to try to go to events and immerse ourselves in the things that interest us most because who knows, maybe we'll get a story out of it.

No longer will I go to the grocery store without thinking of angles and leads. There’s a story around everywhere about tons of subjects and if it matters I want to report on it!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! We really should be more cognizant of opportunities to utilize our journalistic powers. I don't think it's necessarily abuse. After all, how are you going to know if there's a story there unless you investigate? And yes, ideas are everywhere. I've mentioned on the Table before that what makes us writers is our ability to identify and document what we observe in the world around us. A press pass is simply a way to gain access to areas the general public may not be able to get to so that we can share our findings.

    Btw, welcome to the Table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how many times I say to myself, "Man I need to find a gig that hooks me up with a press pass."

    I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

    ReplyDelete